Thursday, June 21, 2012

Mountain Love Affair

This summer, my sister Sierra and I have made it a goal to go on a hike every Monday. So far, we have succeeded. We've hiked Slate Canyon, Rock Canyon, Sundance, and most recently, Squaw Peak. I've always enjoyed hiking, maybe because I was practically born hiking. When I was but a wee lad, my parents would throw me in one of those child hiking backpacks and tote me around everywhere. Ha, they even took me skiing a few times. Mostly what I think it comes down to though is that I don't really care all that much about hiking, I just love being in the mountains. I once said "I was raised in the desert, but I'm a child of the mountains". Bloody cheesy right? But its true. I spent a lot of my childhood in the Southern Utah deserts. Boy, I can't even tell you how many times I've been to Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Zions, and not to mention Goblin Valley! But I really do like the mountains better. I love the fresh cool air, the snow capped peaks, the dense piney forests, and of course: the wild flowers. I have a great love for the Uintah mountain range. We have a cabin up there, right on the Bear River. And it has always been one of my very favorite places to be. Its a great place to just go and hang out. You don't have to worry about every day plans. Just who is going to wash the dishes and if you're going to finally win a game of Uno or some other game. I really enjoy the nice cool air up there, especially in the summer when it's 90ยบ down in the valley, and you're wearing a coat up there not to freeze at 6p.m. I've kind of strayed off topic. Back to hiking. Life is simple when I'm out hiking. You can leave your worries behind and just enjoy the scenery. There comes a point in every one of my hikes, where I realize: I don't want to go back. The point where you find Serenity. Sadly I turn back and head for home, but not without taking a few moments to stop and take it all in. Who knows though, maybe someday I'll just keep going.

There you have it. That's the story of my Mountain Love Affair. So if you ever want to go hiking, I'm always up for it. Give me a holler.

1 comment:

  1. MORGAN LETS GO HIKING AND BE MOUNTAIN FOLK AND EAT SAMMICHES AND TAKE IN THE VIEWS. Serious.

    ReplyDelete